Cooking Time : 40 minutes
PREPERATION & COOKING TIME
- 40 min (including rice cooking time, but this may vary, depending on your method of cooking rice)
- For this recipe, we used a pressurized rice cooker.
- Disposable gloves for making the rice balls
- 1 ½ cup of rice (we used Charm Dream premium Korean rice)
- 1 cup of kimchi (finely chopped)
- ½ cup of kimchi juice (or adjust to your liking)
- 1~2 tsp of gochujang (we used Jookjangyeon)
- 1 tsp of soy sauce
- 2 tsp of Meshil Plum Extract (or any sweetener of your choice)
- 2 tbsp of sesame oil (we used Chung-O)
- 2 mozzarella string cheese sticks, cut into halves horizontally
- Optional for topping: sesame seeds
- ** We also used the triangle gimbap mold from this set, but you can do this by hand!
HOW TO MAKE
PREPARING THE INGREDIENTS
Wash and cook your rice according to the package.
Separate kimchi and kimchi juice; set aside the kimchi juice for later.
Chop your kimchi finely. In a frying pan, add a tablespoon of sesame oil and start cooking the kimchi on medium heat.
After about a minute, add the gochujang, soy sauce and plum extract (or sweetener) and stir together. Raise the heat to high.
After cooking for about 2 minutes on high, lower to medium heat and add a drizzle of sesame oil.
Mix the cooked rice, cooked kimchi (don't forget the kimchi juice), and mozzarella. Shape them into triangles with the triangle gimbap mold or use your hands.
Grill over medium heat, take the fried rice balls off the pan, serve and enjoy.
ABOUT PAN-FRIED KIMCHI RICE BALLS
Let's face it:
who doesn't love some kimchi fried rice? Kimchi fried rice is a staple for those who love fried rice, for those who love kimchi and for those who love food in general. The staff here at the Kim'C Market kitchen are no exception to that.
However, we craved more. We wanted a way to have kimchi fried rice differently, whether it be with an ingredient we never used before or in a way we haven't before. So with a lot of research and trial and error, we came up with a foolproof recipe that everyone can enjoy.
We also used cut up mozzarella sticks instead of the shredded kind and we found that it was not enough cheese. But if that's what you prefer, then this recipe is perfect for you!