Total time: 40 min
Let's Make Pan-Fried Kimchi Rice Balls!
Preparation & Cooking Time:
- 40 min (including rice cooking time, but this may vary, depending on your method of cooking rice)
- For this recipe, we used a pressurized rice cooker.
- This recipe makes 4 rice balls and we found that 2 per person was good for a meal.
- Disposable gloves for making the rice balls
- 1 1/2 cup of rice (we used Charm Dream premium Korean rice)
- 1 cup of kimchi (finely chopped)
- 1/2 cup of kimchi juice (or adjust to your liking)
- 1~2 tsp of gochujang (we used Jookjangyeon)
- 1 tsp of soy sauce
- 2 tsp of Meshil Plum Extract (or any sweetener of your choice)
- 2 tbsp of sesame oil (we used Chung-O)
- 2 mozzarella string cheese sticks, cut into halves horizontally
- Optional for topping: sesame seeds
- ** We also used the triangle gimbap mold from this set, but you can do this by hand!
How to Make:
Preparing the Ingredients
- Wash and cook your rice according to the package.
- Separate kimchi and kimchi juice; set aside the kimchi juice for later.
- Chop your kimchi finely.
- In a frying pan, add a tablespoon of sesame oil and start cooking the kimchi on medium heat.
- After about a minute, add the gochujang, soy sauce and plum extract (or sweetener) and stir together. Raise the heat to high.
- After cooking for about 2 minutes on high, lower to medium heat and add a drizzle of sesame oil.
Making the Rice Balls
- In a large bowl, combine your rice (let it cool down for a bit to prevent burning your hands!) and kimchi mixture.
- Add kimchi juice to your liking (we found that 3 tablespoons were enough). You don't want to add too much as you want the rice to be able to stick together. Mix well.
- Set down a layer of the kimchi rice in your triangle mold and pack well to prevent breakage.
- Add your mozzarella stick piece in the middle.
- Cover with another layer of the kimchi rice. Pat down to secure the shape.
- Repeat 4 times.
** Tip: The rice may stick to your gloves, so try putting just the tiniest amount of sesame oil on your gloves!
Frying the Rice Balls
- Coat the rice balls in a thin even layer of sesame oil. (We used a brush to do this. You can also just coat the frying pan in a thin layer of oil).
- Heat the frying pan to medium heat.
- Carefully place the rice balls down on its flat surface.
- Cook for at least 2~3 minutes to ensure browning.
- Flip to place it on its other flat surface and cook for an additional 2~3 minutes.
- When both sides are evenly brown and crisp, carefully turn it on its edges to brown the edges.
- Take off the heat when all edges and surfaces are perfectly crispy and browned.
- Serve with a sprinkle of sesame seeds.
- Watch the cheese pull and enjoy!
About Pan-Fried Kimchi Rice Balls
Let's face it: who doesn't love some kimchi fried rice? Kimchi fried rice is a staple for those who love fried rice, for those who love kimchi and for those who love food in general. The staff here at the Kim'C Market kitchen are no exception to that.
However, we craved more. We wanted a way to have kimchi fried rice differently, whether it be with an ingredient we never used before or in a way we haven't before. So with a lot of research and trial and error, we came up with a foolproof recipe that everyone can enjoy.
We also used cut up mozzarella sticks instead of the shredded kind and we found that it was not enough cheese. But if that's what you prefer, then this recipe is perfect for you!