Cooking Time: 30 min
Tteokguk (rice cake soup) is the most iconic dish of Seollal. Eating a bowl of tteokguk symbolizes aging one more year, as it is the first meal eaten in the new year. Tteokguk is usually made with beef broth or anchovy broth, sliced glutinous rice cake, egg, seaweed, and chopped scallion as garnish. This simple, yet delicious soup is everyone’s favorite. Add mandu (dumplings) to the soup and you have tteok mandu guk (dumpling rice cake soup).
- 400g Sliced white rice cake for tteokguk 떡국떡
- 100g stir fried size beef (brisket) 소고기
- 1 cup chopped green onion
- 2 eggs
- 1800ml water
- 1T cooking oil
- 1T sesame oil
- 2T soy sauce
- 1T minced garlic
- Salt & pepper
- ¼ red chili pepper
- Crushed seaweed
- Sesame seed
How to Make
Soak sliced tteok in a bowl of water
Add 1T cooking oil and 1T sesame oil to a pot and bring to med-high heat
Add beef and stir fry quickly until no more pink outside
Beat 2 eggs
Add the soaked sliced tteok into the pot and raise the heat to high.
Add 2T soy sauce and 1T minced garlic. Cook until tteok is soft and chewy.
Season with salt to taste
Slowly pour egg and stir with a ladle
Turn the heat off and add green onion, crushed seaweed, sesame seed, and red chili pepper for garnish
Try at Kim’C Market
- GANGGOJIP ANCHOVY SEAFOOD SOUP STOCK 강고집 멸치국물팩 for easy broth! Just drop a pouch and savory stock is done in 10 minutes!
- JOOKJANGYEON PREMIUM SOY SAUCE (GANJANG) 죽장연 간장 (2014 VINTAGE) to season the broth. This premium soy sauce is aged for 5 years, which gives a hint of sweetness, mellow saltiness, and complex flavors to your dish.
- CHUNG-O EXTRA VIRGIN SPROUTED SESAME OIL 청오 엑스트라버진 발아 참기름 Every single sesame seed is sprouted before pressing in state-of-the-art sprouting facility to boost the nutritional value like good fat acids and Omega-3 & 6. Amazing to use for salad dressing, dip, seasoning, sauce, and as a finishing oil to drizzle over grilled meat, vegetables, noodles
- TRUNAS ONE TABLET CHOPPED GARLIC 트루나스 마늘한알 is coin-shape dehydrated minced garlic that is super easy to use in any cooking. Drop 1-2 coins in tteokguk to give that extra flavor.
- MRS MALAENGE SPRING ONIONS 말랭이여사 대파 말랭이 is pre-washed, sliced and dehydrated spring onions, ready to use any time. Sprinkle a teaspoonful on tteukguk as garnish
- Seaweed Topping Original Manjun Seaweed is known for quality gim. Produced at a gim farm located off the southwest coast of Korea. Majun follows traditional cultivation methods using only the power of nature, sea breeze and sunlight. This process is completed with great care and procured in small yields. What results is the pure and rich flavor of the sea.
Keywords: South Korea, Korean food, Korean recipe, tteokguk, korean rice cake soup, rice cake, soup